Friday, 26 July 2013

red and yellow and pink and green, purple and orange and blue

'Cause I am old now (I feel it even if others tell me not), I remember things from decades ago, not just years ago.

I know that I am old because when I talk to the bright young things of the future who are at Uni they are so different from me, and are still idealistic and have none of the knowledge of all the pitfalls and downfalls of life.  How I wish that I could still be like that.  I feel the same in myself, but I know that life has knocked off some corners and taken away some of the shine.



One of the things that I find myself remembering sometimes when I am doing things around the house like baking or gardening are little snippets of songs.

Yesterday when I was feeling very knocked and not shiny this song came to me.  I think the words go something like this:-

Red and yellow and pink and green, purple and orange and blue
I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow true

Listen with your eyes, listen with your eyes
Sing everything you see

I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow
Sing a rainbow true



My Mum used to sing to us all the time when we were children and I remember her singing this song.  I am not sure if it is English or Australian, as we used to have rather a strange mix.  Kookaburra sits in the old oak tree anyone?

This got me to thinking (sorry, my grammar is going downhill fast this week!), could I photograph something beautiful in each of these seven colours.



What do you think?  I had fun taking these photos and they made me feel shinier again.

Perhaps I am not so old, I still like to do these funny little things and sing songs to myself like a 5 year old does.



I just need to repair my bent corners and give myself a buff up and polish (sorry, does that sound weird, I don't mean it too!)



I hope that you are feeling young and idealistic and that your corners are intact and that you are feeling bright and shiny.  If not, go and spend some time with yourself and give yourself a break and do something fun to brighten your day.



Thank you to all those people who have been reading this blog.  Did you know that you are spread all over the world.  People are reading in places that I never even thought about people reading me.



It is great to know that you are interested in what I have to say, so THANK YOU, and I love ya'll.

Amy

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, Amy and welcome to the blogging world! You're doing a great job and I especially love your photos and the things you recall from your childhood.

    Although our corners might be knocked off and we find ourselves a bit less shiny, I believe we MORE than make up for it in the huge benefit of our memories our age brings us. Those young uni kids travel down the same road we did and they will likely look back and think the same sorts of things we do. We all have our time in the barrel, as my father likes to remind me. :)

    Sending you love and best wishes from across the pond!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet, I love you blog, so I really appreciate your comments - anyone who has not read Janet's blog at thearmymom.com you should head there now - that's an order as I think Janet would say in a lovely way!

      I agree about our time in the barrel, it's just funny when you get to this stage and you understand all those things your parents told you isn't it. And soooo annoying when it turns out they were right...

      Love back to you the other way across the pond too!

      Delete
  2. Hi Amy!
    Funny eh?
    I have 3 grown children and 1 year old granddaughter...
    Everything old is new again!!!
    I don't feel too battered up...my boyfriend {aka husband of 41 years} keeps me young !!

    Enjoy your day...
    Did you find my bread recipe??

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda

      I'm glad that you are still having fun with your "boyfriend"! I'm feeling chirpier again today. I found your bread recipe thank you, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping to have a go at some more bread this week so I'll let you know how it goes. The post I am about to put up is about what I was baking this weekend. It was too hot here for baking bread.

      Amy

      Delete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx